Utah needs the gospel
In the heart of the desperately needy West and reflecting the state of the New North American Mission Field, Utah trails all other states of the country with gospel luminance. Though it has a population of 2.9 million people, only 2.2% attend services at any evangelical church.
Utah is a mission field within our own borders! When it comes to missions, Utah has a unique advantage. Without leaving the country or learning a new language, we can immediately begin building relationships with our neighbors, co-workers and friends to share the liberating good news of God’s grace through Jesus Christ--97% of which have not trusted in Jesus Christ to save them from their sins.
- Utah ranked 1st place as the “Most Religious” state in America. More than 79% of the people in Utah claim to be adherents of a religious group.
- Utah is the “Least Evangelical Christian” state in America. Only 2.2% of the people in Utah claim to be Evangelical Christians.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) makes up more than 68% of Utah’s religious affiliates.
- World Comparison: There are fewer Christians in Utah than any country in the Western Hemisphere! The next closest would be Cuba at 6%.
- Mormonism is a global religion with 16,118,169 members worldwide in 2017.
- Utah has [by far] the lowest median age in the USA (29.2 yrs.)
- In Utah, there are many cities without a single Christian church. More than 140,000 Utah residents live in these cities.
- Salt Lake City has been called “The Vainest City in America”, with the highest number of cosmetic surgeries per capita.
- Utah reports the highest rates of clinical depression in the country and prescribes more anti-depressants than any other state.
- Utah has one of the highest suicide rates in the nation.
- Utah boasts the highest percentage of internet pornography subscriptions in America.
Continue reading about the needs in Utah.